While San Juan has the highest concentration of hotels in Puerto Rico, there are plenty of spectacular places to stay all over the island. From boutique-style hotels to full-on resorts, there’s something for everyone. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s picks for the best places to stay in Puerto Rico:
1. W Retreat & Spa – Vieques Island. Sitting on the tiny island of Vieques, this W Retreat & Spa is unlike any other W Hotel. The seemingly private resort feels worlds away from civilization. With two private beaches, tennis courts and a spa, you won’t get bored at this island retreat.
2. El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort. This is a great place to go if you’re traveling with your family. You won’t even need to leave the resort to keep everyone entertained, thanks to its restaurants, waterpark and spa. The hotel even has its own private island that’s just a short, eight-minute boat ride away.
3. The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico. Opened in late 2010, this luxurious beach resort has a Remède spa and an upscale seafood restaurant under the direction of Jean-Georges Vongerichten. Located on the northeastern tip of Puerto Rico, The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort is also home to a top-notch golf course.
4. Horned Dorset Primavera Hotel. Across the island in Rincon lies Puerto Rico’s only Relais & Chateaux property, Horned Dorset Primavera Hotel. With just 22 suites, this boutique-style property is intimate and beautiful. It also doesn’t hurt that there’s a delicious restaurant on the property.
5. Hotel El Convento. This Old San Juan hotel shows off Spanish Colonial architecture, while remaining luxurious with marble bathrooms and flat-screen TVs. The views of America’s oldest city — it was founded in 1521 — and San Juan Bay allow you to dive head first into the culture.