Cabo Rojo is a municipality of Puerto Rico situated on the south west corner of the island; about 1.45 minutes from the capital city of San Juan. Ask any Puerto Rican about Cabo Rojo and they’ll most likely tell you that this beach town is a favorite family vacation destination. Cabo Rojo offers great beaches, affordable family owned restaurants with fresh seafood served daily, golf, excellent tarpon and deep sea fishing, a natural reserve with educational attractions for the whole family, and scenic hiking / bicycling trails.
Due to it’s large wildlife reserve many areas are still green and free of development, giving residents and visitors various places to enjoy fun outdoor activities while connecting with nature.
Cabo Rojo is home to three popular places in Puerto Rico: La Playuela (Playa Sucia), one of the best beaches in the Caribbean and Puerto Rico, Boqueron Beach, one the most family friendly and best swimming beaches in Puerto Rico and Los Morrillos Lighthouse, the most scenic spot on the entire island.
The “Pueblo of Cabo Rojo” (center town) is a colorful, lively and inviting place that has retained a very traditional feel. At the center of the town you can visit the active plaza (square), where friends gather to play dominoes, have a cup of coffee, and have dinner al fresco to the sounds of salsa, old ballads and jazz.
Cabo Rojo is a great central location to explore all the attractions and things to do on the west coast region. From here you can take a scenic drive along the country roads to the coastal towns of Lajas & Guanica. If you’re a history buff you can visit the neighboring town of San German. High tourism season is during the summer months, making Cabo Rojo a nice escape for relaxation and fun without crowds.
Cabo Rojo is one of the preferred locations to purchase an investment / vacation home due to reasonable real estate prices, low crime, it’s beaches, island location and services. Caborrojeños (locals) are warm, friendly, and helpful, you’ll feel right at home here.
- The original name of Cabo Rojo was Los Cabos Rojos, Tierras de Los Morillos.
- Cabo Rojo is known as “El Pueblo de Cofresí”.
- Cabo Rojo was founded in 1771 by Nicolás Ramírez de Arellano who was also Cabo Rojo’s first mayor.
- Mayor of Cabo Rojo: Hon. Roberto (Bobby) Ramírez Kurtz
- Slogan: Capital of Tourism
- Population: About 47,000 residents
- Locals are known as: Caborrojeños
- Currency: U.S. Dollars.
- Language: Spanish is the preferred language but most locals around tourist areas speak English.
- Temperature: Average of 79-82 F.
- Electric: Current is 110 volts AC, same as the United States.
Tourism Information Office: Muñoz Rivera Street, Ruiz Rivera #43, La Campana Building Tel. (787) 255-1560